Wednesday, January 10, 2007

HEY everyone!

Ok, so its been a whole week. Where has all the time gone? I sent the kids back to school on January 2nd. Now, I know that there are times when its ok to send them back...when the whole "mommy--what's for breakfast, or mommy, what's for lunch, or mommy, what's for dinner" thing gets old, but honestly, I felt like it was still the holiday when they went back. I did not let on to them, that I thought it unfair and way to early to go back---are you crazy man?! I couldn't let them see my weakness....I would forever be the wounded gazzelle, and they would be the victorious pumas! No way man. So I gave them a hearty breakfast, told them to buck up and sent them on their merry way. I am proud to say that there were no tears...just some wistful looking kids.

So, on to the knitting front. I took my mother in law up to a yarn shop in Columbia..called All About Yarn. It was a bit difficult to find in that it was located in a sort of industrial park--you know, lots of long, one-storied buildings housing such various businesses as car parts, sheet metal supply and well, yarn. (which reminds me of a really funny shop in my husband's home town of Canon City Colorado, where there was a shop that was a 1. taxidermy shop 2. car cleaning service and 3. hair salon; the name of this magical place (and I am NOT KIDDING) is "Fluff 'em, Buff 'em and Stuff 'em --yeah, I have a picture too) But I digress...so I walked around for a while and ended up buying some beautiful Debbie Bliss cashmerino yarn to make this ruffled cardi. The yarn is incredible to work with--I have to admit, I LOVE Debbie Bliss yarn. It just feels like butter.

So, something I learned from my trip to the yarn store with my mother in law is this 1. NEVER take a non-knitter or non-crocheter to a yarn store! Because this would be like taking me to an automotive store--to a non-knitter it all looks the same. God bless her, she was very sweet and walked around with me until a lovely knitter sitting on the couch encouraged her to sit while I shopped. My mom in law politely inquired as to what the other women were knitting. They responded and were very nice..but you know us knitters when we get in a yarn store....watch out! I hunker down....I touch EVERYTHING, I ask questions, I will look at EVERY yarn in the sale bin, I will not worry about time, I will not worry about money (I had a coupon!), I will enjoy every guilt free minute, knowing that my husband and family are all at home watching football and that for these couple of hours I am completely free to do what I want....so that's what is going on in my head. So the upshot is that I did not stay as long as I wanted...I left some yarn untouched...such is life. It was more important to be kind to my mother in law at that moment then it was for me to fufill my yarn's desires. We had a lovely late lunch and went home to a peaceful home and I cast on immediately. All in all, a good day.

So, here is quick baby hat that I made. My girlfriend just had her first grand-baby. They always referred to the baby as "the bean". She asked me if I could make some kind of bean hat. I wracked my brain, searched the internet and googled it four ways to Sunday. The best I came up with was a pattern from Yarniverse for a pumpkin hat. I tweaked it a bit and here is the hat modeled on a friends' baby. I think its pretty cute. I just have to give the owner of Yarniverse a big shout out as she tried to email me this pattern so that I could start right away. We probably worked on this thing for 3 hours trying to get the emailing thing down. In the end, I told her just to mail it to me and I would wait. She was awesome--go check out her store online. I can personally vouch for their top notch customer service.

I hope everyone's New Year is going well. My personal resolution was to get into shape and so that extent, my husband and I started a running program. I am proud to say that it is going well and we are enjoying it so far. It is so hard to get started but once you do, man do you feel great.

1 comment:

barbp said...

The hat is totally cute!